Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yummy Breakfast

IMG_1436

Cookies for breakfast! They were AWESOME! So easy to put together, a little sweet, and pretty good for you!. I based my recipe on this allrecipes.com recipe for pumpkin protein cookies.

Banana Breakfast Cookies

  • 1/4 cup honey (I didn’t measure though and it was maybe a little less)
  • Heaping 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (plus extra to bring up to the right consistency)
  • 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup mashed banana (I used one large banana and didn’t measure)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil (I used coconut oil)
  • 1 egg
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients Stir in wet ingredients (and add extra flour to make it a more cookie consistency, but still fairly wet, you just don’t want it to spread too all over the place in the oven). Drop by ice cream scooper fuls. I made 6 with this recipe.
  3. Bake for 10-15 minutes in preheated oven. DO NOT OVERBAKE: the cookies will come out really dry if overbaked.

I fully plan on brining this to the weekly breakfast rotation. So far we have dutch babies, baked oatmeal (though I vary it. less sugar, and may try out a few more recipes), and now breakfast cookies. I can’t wait to try different variations, pumpkin, apple, etc. Oh, yeah, me and two kids, totally ate all six breakfast cookies this morning!

3 comments:

Frances said...

So I guess you could use pumpkin puree instead of banana in that recipe?? We'll try those this weekend.

The Wilsons said...

Yep, but I would add back in some spices, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (or your own blend). You could always double the recipe to have leftovers for during the week!

Jenée's Blog said...

Thank you for the breakfast recipe! -I love to cook, and I am looking forward to trying this, *this* week. :)