Saturday, May 15, 2010

My little Garden

Well, I have some other posts I need to get caught up on, but I needed to share my excitement about our garden, ITS GROWING!  I’m so pleased!  We’re growing tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and melons.  I have cucumbers and squash that are about an inch long and a few flowers on a tomato plant!  Woohoo!  Here is a picture:

IMG_1599

I have plants in earthboxes and straw bales (five of each).  The earth boxes seem to be doing better (and have rave reviews, so I think they are worth the $$) but the straw bales are doing all right (and are much cheaper, but have to be replace every year/every other year).  In the back from left to right are tomatoes, squash, melons, cucumbers, and more tomatoes and in the straw bales from left to right are tomatoes, tomatoes, squash (wintery), melons, and squash. 

I am going to NEED to figure out how to preserve some of this as I can already tell I will probably have 10-15 cucumbers ready here in a couple weeks!  I need to be finding a freezer and figuring out how to can some things!  Exciting!