Monday, May 24, 2010

Cereal Bars

So, I'd happened on a recipe I thought could be adapted to a healthy cereal bar. I think I did it! We have lovely apple cinnamon cereal bars now!

Combine the following in a saucepan and bring to a boil to thicken:
1 3/4 cups mashed fruit/applesauce
1 tbsp sugar/honey (optional)
sprinkle of cinnamon
splash of vanilla

Combine the following in a large bowl
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Original recipe called for a 9x9 pan but I thought a thinner crust and more fruit was better so I use a 7x11 (or 8x12 or whatever size my pan is, definitely smaller than 9x13). Grease your pan. Spread and pat down 2/3 of the oat/flour mixture in the pan. Spread your slightly thicker fruit mixture over next then sprinkle over the remaining oat/flour mixture. Bake at 400 for approximately 20 minutes. Let them cool to at least warm before you slice into them. Enjoy!

No comments: