Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Awesome Bread!

I found this in another blog here the other day. Since I was making soup tonight (cream of tomato, America's test kitchen recipe) I decided to give it a go. It was AWESOME! So good! The recipe is below:

Super Easy Skillet Bread
2 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 1/2 cups milk
2-4 T. butter
optional mix ins: cheese, bacon bits, green chilis, cornmeal, taco seasoning...use your imagination
Stir together the dry ingredients, then stir in the milk until a smooth batter forms. Place an oven proof skillet (I used an 8x8 pyrex dish) in the oven while it's heating up and put the butter (I used all 4 tbsp) in. Once the butter is nicely melted and bubbly, pour the batter into the skillet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until the top is nicely golden brown. You may either slice it into wedges to serve, or simply tear off hunks. I put in about 1/2-1 cup of shredded colby jack and it was way good! So, this is not that great leftover cold (may reheat all right). You can also cut the recipe in half and do it in some smaller containers (I used some corningware last night).

No comments: