Thursday, September 13, 2012

The Best of Granola's

I know this post should have some happenings of our lives, but, its not, sorry!  Soon maybe?  I did want to put a recipe here though that I don't want to lose!  The best granola I've made yet.  I found this recipe online and tried it out this morning and its great.

The Best of Granola's (Jill Abegg - she wrote a book called Eat Well Stay Well Spend Less but I don't have the book.  Maybe I should buy it since this recipe is so good?)

6 cups rolled oats
1/2 to 1 cup wheat germ (I played it safe and used 3/4 cup)
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1 cup nuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup sweetened coconut ribbons
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup oil (I used coconut)
1 1/2 cups honey (divided, and I used 1/2 cup maple syrup to replace some honey)
1 cup dried fruit (optional)
1 tsp almond extract (essential and I don't even like almond extract much)
2 tablespoons vanilla extract

Mix dry ingredients together (except dried fruit).  Mix together 1 cup honey/maple syrup and oil and extracts (heat slightly if using coconut oil).  Mix wet and dry together.  Spread out on a couple baking sheets and bake at 300 F stirring every 10 minutes or so until nice and toasty (mine took 30-40 minutes).  Pour granola into a big bowl and drizzle on up to a 1/2 cup honey and stir well and allow to cool.  Store in a tightly sealed container.

Man, that drizzle of honey at the end helps it all stick together a bit and really makes it awesome!  I will keep you posted if for some reason it also makes it mold or do anything gross sooner than other granolas!

No comments: